Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recipe #1: Steak & Spinach Pinwheels with Mock Hollandaise Sauce

Source:  Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook

Steak & Spinach Pinwheels

8 slices of bacon
1 1- to 1-1/2 pound beef flank steak
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet cook bacon till just done but not crisp.  Drain on paper towels.  Score steak by making shallows cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern.  Repeat on second side.  With a meat mallet, pound steak into a 12x8-inch rectangle, working from center to edges.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Arrange bacon lengthwise on steak.

Spread spinach over bacon.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Roll up from short side.  Secure with wooden picks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from one end.  Cut between picks into either 1-inch slices. 

Place, cut side down, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan.  Broil 3 inches from the heat for 6 minutes.  Turn; broil for 6 to 8 minutes more for medium doneness.  Remove picks. 

If desired, serve with Mock Hollandaise Sauce.  Serves 4.

Mock Hollandaise Sauce

In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup dairy sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard.  Cook and stir over low heat till hot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my first recipe, this looked fairly straight-forward.  I had wanted to prepare up to the broiling ahead of time, since my son had a late afternoon orthodontist appointment, but I was a little busy today and found myself with only 30 minutes to prepare this.  It was plenty of time.


I thought they looked pretty good.  I covered with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator.

When I got home, it took just a few minutes to broil and prepare the rest of the meal. 


I thought they were more rare than medium.  I would have broiled them for a minute or two longer, but that's a personal preference. 

The Hollandaise Sauce was indeed easy and was excellent with the pinwheels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ratings
Special Ingredients Needed:   None, other than we usually don't have frozen spinach at our house. 
Ease of Preparation:  Average.  I cooked the bacon a little long, which made it a little difficult to roll, but overall, I was impressed by how easy this was.
Taste:   My husband and I really enjoyed this.  The kids scraped the spinach out, but I suspected they might.  My son liked the bacon.  Everyone enjoyed the Hollandaise Sauce.
Overall:  9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment